Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ease into it...

That's how I approached this week. Since I'd been eating everything but the kitchen sink, I told myself this week to take it slow, and it worked. Monday was all about cutting back sweets. I chose fruit instead - even had some dreaded peaches in light syrup. I never eat them but I needed to feel like I was having something really sweet. They were just what I needed. Tuesday, I did just fine. I made sure to eat a mid-morning snack and an afternoon one, too. That kept my blood sugar from sending me in search of candy.

I thought I'd share this recipe with ya'll. It's from the Biggest Loser Cookbook, page 137 (if you have the book), Mo's Spinach-Ricotta Bake. I changed the recipe up a little (something I seem to always do) by using low-fat ricotta instead of fat-free - cause that's what I had on hand. Anyway, it was super easy and really good. I think next time I'll add onion or roasted red peppers to zest it up a little.

Mo's Spinach-Ricotta Bake

1 package (1 lb) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 container (15 oz) fat-free ricotta cheese
3 T grated reduced fat parmesan cheese
2 large egg whites
1/4 t. garlic powder
pinch of nutmeg (I didn't add this to mine)
1 1/2 cups of low sodium, low-fat marinara sauce (there is a recipe in the book p. 191)

Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly mist an 8"x8" dish with olive oil spray.

Drain spinach, squeeze out as much moisture as possible (very important so dish won't be watery). Place in a large mixing bowl. Add the ricotta, Parmesan, egg whites, garlic powder, and nutmeg (or not). Stir to mix. Transfer to prepared dish. With the back of a spoon, spread it out to fill the dish. Bake for 20 minutes, or until it is hot through and the top is starting to brown. Let stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly.

Heat marinara sauce in sauce pan or microwave (on low power) until warm. Cut the spinach-ricotta bake into 6 equal pieces. Transfer each piece to a serving plate. Spoon 1/4 cup of sauce over each serving. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in resealable plastic container in fridge for up to 3 days.

Makes 6 servings. Per serving: 134 cals, 11 g protein, 17 g carbs, 2 g fat, 15 mg chol, 3 g fiber, 304 mg sodium.

You can eat two servings with a salad and have a great meal! It is really good.

I'm off next week for Spring Break. I need it as much as anyone. I'll be staying home, doing some DIY, watching movies, and reeeeelaxxxxxxing. Oh, and riding my bike. I rode Tuesday and again today and I think Nellie's wheels were singing!

Have a great weekend. Take it easy and don't forget to drink your water.

5 comments:

  1. I've missed you! Enjoy your spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a really great week! Enjoy your rides on Nellie! Still too cold (and rainy) here to get the bike out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easing into changes works better for me, too.

    I got to enjoy a bike ride yesterday. And then a 1-mile walk when my rear tire blew. Oh well, at least it was a sunny day!

    have an awesome spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy recipe! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete